229-686-6177

Alapaha Circuit Court Administrator

Atkinson County

atco courthouse

Photo: Keith Hair

 

Atkinson County, Georgia’s 153rd county, covers an area of 338 square miles and was carved from portions of Clinch and Coffee Counties by the state legislature in 1917. The south central Georgia county was named for William Y. Atkinson, speaker of the state House of Representatives and Georgia’s Governor in the late 1880s.

According to the 2000 U.S. census, the county population was 7,609. The population showed a 22.5 percent increase between 1990 and 2000, largely because of the number of Hispanics who moved into the county to work in the mobile home industry and in agriculture.